Saturday, July 7, 2012

Alexis' Journey To Fit Chick

15% Off Any Meal Plan
Within memory, I had always been overweight. However my family never ostracized me because of it, nor did they even acknowledge it. My mom would always tell me "it's just baby fat, it will come off", but it didn't. As the years passed the pounds piled on, and before I knew it I was 200 pounds and only 15 years old. At that point, the weight really started to effect me mentally. My personal life and confidence levels were nonexistent, as I struggled to fit in, literally and figuratively.

The breaking point occurred, for me, when I decided to step on the scale after months of avoiding it. Expecting to see a number around 200, I was in complete shock when I looked down and the number 240 stared back. All I could think was 'I'm only 16, how could this happen?' I knew that the older I got the more trying it would be to shed the pounds, so I wasted no time.

I joined the gym in my town in June 2009, and hit the ground running. I started out doing 30 minutes on the elliptical and 45 minutes to an hour of resistance training daily. I began to scrutinize every bite of food I put into my mouth, not just calorically but also nutritionally. Within the first couple of weeks, I increased my elliptical time to an hour. The pounds began to melt off pretty quickly, as I had lost 28 pounds in a little over a month. Although my workout was nothing special, the reason it worked so well was because I refused to miss a day. I missed about 15 days during that summer due to vacation with my family, but upon our return I picked up right where I left off. I continued to go daily for the next year, gradually adding group exercise into my regimen.

By the time June 2010, and my high school graduation, rolled around I weighed 168 pounds, and went from a size 20 to a size 8. Although the change from a sedentary lifestyle to one that supported 2 hours of exercise daily was a giant leap, once I got into the habit, there was no turning back.

Working out simply became a part of my life, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. My present day workouts are so much more fun and varied than the ones I began with. This is, in part, due to the fact that my body is capable of doing so much more without the extra baggage. I ran a Tough Mudder in May, and worked up to running 11 miles to train for it. Before I got in shape, I couldn't even run a mile in under 15 minutes; now I run a 9 minute mile.

Other than running, I have become an avid cycler, 'yogi', and lifter. The old me would never have had the confidence to lift in a room full of men. At times, I still feel myself channeling my old mentality- that when people see me they are labeling me the 'fat girl'. Sometimes I need to pinch myself, as a reminder that that girl no longer exists. My primary motivator to keep pushing, and never settle, to this day is that I know so acutely what it feels like to be on the other side. I could never go back to living like that, if you can call constant self deprecation a life.

My inspirations include all of the beautiful strong women I have befriended since joining my gym. I met them through my participation in group fitness, and they are constantly pushing me to my limits and helping me plow through those limits. It is a blessing to have people you can share your fitness hardships with, because it reminds you that you are never alone in your troubles. The one thing that never fails to inspire me is visualizing myself before this fitness journey, and realizing just how far I've come. It is so empowering and liberating knowing just how much I have accomplished for myself.

As far as advice goes, I cannot stress enough the importance of making workouts a part of one's daily routine, especially in the first month. If you nourish your body with whole foods and plenty of water, and work out daily you WILL see a difference in a short amount of time, and that will be all you need to keep you going on your fitness journey. Once you start changing the shape of your body and conquering your goals, you will never want to stop- guaranteed.

Although my physical transformation is quite marked, it pales in comparison to the changes that have occurred mentally. I can now look into the mirror and smile back at myself. I can look at my body with a sense of pride and accomplishment, instead of loathing and disgust. I was in such a dark place, full of hatred. I had no respect and no understanding of my body. I felt like it had betrayed me. But I have redeemed myself, and can now go to sleep at night feeling truly whole.

I'm now going into my junior year of college as a biochemistry major. I plan to get my PhD and eventually work in a lab, researching natural treatments and cures for our disease ridden world. I also intend to get my PT certification within the next year. I have become so passionate about and committed to the world of nutrition, and moreover to helping people actualize their bodies and live their lives to the absolute fullest.

Everyone owes it to themselves to take the journey that I have been on since June 2009. It may be a life long commitment, but it's one that you will never regret. Every body is miraculous, and deserves to be treated with the utmost care. Love yourself, and love yourself enough to take the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. You're an inspiration, Alexis! I know you've had a difficult, but rewarding journey. Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete