Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Elizabeth's Journey To Fit Chick

I was overweight my entire life. I decided after my 30th birthday and second child that I was tired of looking and feeling this way so I joined a gym, joined Weight Watchers and started working out and running.  From there I went on to lose 40lbs.

After loosing that much weight, I decided to challenge myself and do my first Spring Triathlon. I guess I caught the bug cause from there I decided to a half marathon  and I placed in the top 3 for my age bracket for women. I didn't stop there, I also ran Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco under 4hrs.  However, just after running the marathon I became frustrated that my body fat was higher than I would have liked so I made the decision  to buckle down on my nutrition.

Since my goals changed  and I  started getting more into weight training, I had to adjust to fit my goals.   I went on to read the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. I  learned some great tips that I continue to use but never followed it strictly.

My daily diet now is lots of protein, veggies, healthy fats, complex carbs and fruits!   The combo of the dietary changes and commitment to lifting completely transformed my body!  Shortly after, I decided to face my biggest fear of being in front of people and decided to step on stage for a Figure Competition.  I placed third in the Masters Division! 


The beauty of all this, is that I found a passion for fitness and nutrition! I  went on to get my personal trainers certification through NASM and started up my own company; Inspire U Fitness where I train and run boot camps out of my garage.  It truly has been a blessing to help other women (and men) improve their lives through healthier lifestyle changes.  I continue to lead by example with my diet and exercise habits! 

4 comments:

  1. I read these stories on FB all the time... I look at the fitness models' photos.... but honest, you are the first woman that I've seen, that I look at and say, "Yes, I'd like to look like her."
    You are in marvelous physical condition, not unattainable condition, but a beautiful and impressive physique that is the result of a lot of hard work.

    I wish you would share your workout with us.... I know that what works for you may not for me, but I do like to see what other women are doing for their fitness and training routines.

    Keep it up! You are beautiful..
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!
      Thank you for those kind words!
      I can honestly say my transformation was not a quick one. However, once I was at a healthy weight and went for the look you see in the picture, it was 12 weeks of heavy lifting (each body part 1x/week to allow for recovery), minimal cardio (incline walking and stepper intervals only)and a commitment to my eating plan. It takes a true focus and discipline but is well worth it! Amazingly enough, the time in my life when I was lifting the heaviest was when I was at my leanest. My body started to crave the good foods (Proteins, complex carbs and healthy fats) and did not miss the sugar.
      I recommend finding a workout plan that suits you (either to do at home or in a gym), stick to it daily and most importantly find an eating plan that is doable for you.
      My current plan is a mix of bootcamps (HIIT training of strength and cardio moves) and focused heavy lifting days. It works for me and I love it!
      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth inspires me every day! I would not be where I am without her. She's an amazing athlete, coach and leader to all her followers!
    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicki! You, my dear, drive me each and every day to be the best me I can be to myself and everyone around me! I enjoy the push we now give each other and Inspire U Fitness is blessed to have you!

      Delete