Friday, September 14, 2012

Ruth's Journey

 

This summer my fitness goal was to complete an Olympic triathlon. I was doing 30 mile+ bike rides and 10+ mile runs weekly. I also did the Boulder Stroke and Stride 5 times (1 mile swim and a 5k). (I also was eating high quality and high quantities of food. Did no refined sugar or flour for 1 month as well).

People say that alot of cardio makes you "skinny fat"? Well I was ok with that. I was hoping some of the benefits of my training would be minimal weight loss (about 10 lbs). I'm 5'9 and 147 lbs. I was feeling discouraged because the scale didn't move one pound! Also, my pants fit tighter right now then before. There were no visible results from all of the work I was doing.    I completed my triathlon (1 mile swim, 26 mile bike, 10K run) and did MUCH better then I was expecting. I wasn't even sore the next day! Additionally this weekend I summited Longs Peak (14,225 ft. 5,100 climb from the trail head, 14 mile hike). I felt better at the end then I have ever felt after hikes.


 
Whats the point of my post? After both my tri and my hike I felt an amazing sense of accomplishment and felt a feeling of pride towards my body. I just felt like "wow! my body can do that. That really is amazing!" This thought is so rare because my thoughts toward my body are almost ALWAYS negative, skeptical, and judgmental. My epiphany was this: My hard work DOES PAY OFF. Even if it isn't visibly obvious to me or others. I AM becoming healthier and more in shape by exercising and eating well. My body is strong and impressive in others ways then JUST how it looks.

I hope that some of you who are judgmental of your body like me can take from this that your hard work IS WORTH IT and looks are only skin deep.

 P.S. I have started a strength training program to continue striving toward excellence in my fitness and appearance


-->

No comments:

Post a Comment