Monday, June 18, 2012

Adrienne's Journey


I'm really inspired by Adrienne, she is an exceptional woman.She is  strong, fearless, positive, and humble!
 Her journey and message is powerful! ;) Check out our Q & A session!

When did you start your weight loss journey?

"The first part of my weight loss journey began in 2008. I was at my highest - 270lbs. My husband of 20 years walked out of our marriage. The second part of the journey started in January 2010 at 240lbs Unfortunately I had yo-yo dieted for many years, but the longing to be fit and healthy never left me."

What inspired you to loose weight?

"Finding myself single at 43 years old and realizing that I had lost myself / stopped taking care of myself. I changed my diet, got a trainer and lost 30lbs. Then life and the pain of divorce distracted me; almost to the point of derailing me from God's plan for my life."


 What type of fitness regimen did you do?


"Lots of cardio 3-4 times per week, with strength training 1-2 days. To keep things from getting boring I vary my cardio: jogging, Turbo Fire, hip hop dance class and hiking on the weekend with family. For strength training I had the trainer at the gym come up with a beginners program with emphasis on upper body training - to get my arms in shape. My newest fitness challenge - (50) push ups and (50) squats every night before bed from now until the end of the year. I've also recently joined a running club. The point: I'm always looking for ways to take my workouts to new levels."

How long did it take you to loose the weight?

"My weight loss goal was to come out from the terrible 2's - 200's that is. I reached that goal in August 2010 - 8 months after starting over. I surpassed that goal in June 2011 when I weighed in at 154lbs."


What differences have you noticed since you've lost weight, how has it effected you?


"Since losing the weight I noticed that I'm more confident. I've always been a girlie kinda girl, but I wasn't always confident. Now, I'm confident yet humble and grateful for the strength and grace God gave me to face my fears head on, and conqueror habits that kept me unhealthy and overweight for a good portion of my life. My relationship with food has changed. Eating isn't something I resort to when sad, happy, frustrated, lonely, etc. I no longer "live to eat", instead I eat to live .... I make choice that will lead to health and wholeness and not just a temporary 'feel good".  I'm more aware of the ingredients of everything I eat. I embrace a clean, no white, low carb lifestyle."


Did you have any difficulties on your journey to wellness? If so how did you overcome it?

"Difficulties?!? Oh yes. All of them in my mind. In my opinion, overcoming the wrong, unhealthy habits that cause most to be overweight is 10% diet and 90% mental determination, focus, fortitude and perserverance. At times I was my worse enemy by being too hard on myself or by setting unrealistic expectations. I am a Christian, and every time I found myself faced with doubt or discouragement, I prayed. The more I prayed and was transparent with God, the more He showed me that many of the obstacles were self inflected. Beating myself up. Not loving myself. Not forgiving myself. When I stopped these things, the difficulties - the struggles - lessened in intensity.
On occassion there were well meaning friends who'd say "girl you don't need to lose any more weight". I never saw them as a "difficulty" because I understood that unhappy people could never be happy for or celebrate my success. I prayed for them and kept it moving."


Is there any advice you'd like to give to someone who wants to loose weight?


"My advice to anyone wanting to lose weight.

 One: Want it for the right reason. If a person is losing weight for acceptance or approval they will not have life long success because they are doing it with someone else as the focus. You've got to do it for yourself - period.

Two: Find a program that works for you. Fitness/dieting isn't "one size fit all".

Three: Don't compare yourself to anyone. You are uniquely you.

Four: Decide that you are going to finish strong - no matter what. Make a committment to see it through to the end.

Five: Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on until you cross the finish line. Haters/frenemies will come out of the wood work as you begin to lose weight. Be open to/accept the fact that you may have let go of relationships that prove to be unhealthy.

Six: Love yourself enough to make whatever investments necessary (ie, books on fitness, gym membership, etc.) to reach your goal.

Seven: Believe in yourself!"




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I needed to see this! I thrive by seeing women my size or at least around my size make changes! So true not to set unrealistic goals for one's self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! I love Adrienne she is and has been such an inspiration, good luck on your own journey! If you would like to share you journey in progress I'd love to hear about it ;)

      Delete