Monday, June 18, 2012

Kim's Journey To Fit Chick

I gained 100 pounds in 1991-1992 after losing weight on a starvation diet and then going through a divorce. It's taken me about 20 years, but I've lost nearly 90 of those pounds. I lost most of my weight through Weight Watchers, and mostly in the last seven years. I'm currently three pounds from my goal of 125.

The deciding factor for losing weight wasn't one single thing. It happened in stops and starts. One time it was my doctor telling me I needed to lose weight, which was a big jolt! Another time it was being in a new relationship; love can do wonderful things for your motivation.

I've run two half-marathons in the past four years, and I had never run before in my life. That was a big achievement, although I still don't actually like running that much. As for strength training, I've
worked my way through Lou Schuler's "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" program twice, and I loved it both times. I just recently started Cindy Whitmarsh's "Ultrafit" program, which is kicking my butt some days -- the jump rope workout is killing my calves! When I lift, I lift heavy weights. I love it when I'm the only woman in the weight room, surrounded by a bunch of young guys. I especially love it when I lift heavier weights than they do.

To anyone who's just starting their weight loss journey, I would recommend Weight Watchers, for sure. I also would recommend reading books that explain low-carb dieting. That's an area I've just started learning about, and it's intriguing. Whatever type of diet you choose, make sure it's one you can live with for life, because "dieting" is ridiculous. You may have to change everything about the way you eat and the way you view food. Also, be patient; losing weight might take a while.
You've heard that saying "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" and I can say with certainty that that's true. Funny thing is, the thinner I've become, the less interested I've been in eating those goodies I used to love so much. I no longer eat sugar or wheat products, which may be too radical a change for some people, but that's what I needed to do to reach my optimal health.

It has a taken a long time, but I'm really proud of myself. I never gave up, and I always said, "If I can get this weight off, it'll be the biggest achievement of my life." No doubt it has been.

Life is seriously good these days!



*The before picture was me at about 215 pounds in 1992. The after picture is me with my husband a few weeks ago (in Kauai).

No comments:

Post a Comment