Monday, June 25, 2012

Bernadette's Journey to Fit Chick


I was a size 14 at 208 lbs
Last Father's Day - I looked like the picture on the left. I was a size 14, 208 lbs, newlywed, and not happy with myself. This is the picture that told me I needed to get up and do something. I was too young to live such a sedentary, boring life. I started the very next day by myself by making changes in my activity level and food. I just cut my food waaaaaay down, drank more water, cut out soda and started moving around. I started to hike and walk/run (more walk) for 2 miles a day. That lasted about a month then I joined a gym.

At the gym, I found out that with my own efforts, I lost a total of 17 pounds. I was 191 lbs but at 38% body fat! The nutritionist put me on a balanced meal plan that helped my eating but I was put with a trainer who was focused on building muscle first then thinning out. I lost weight in the first month - 186 lbs- but I gained ALOT of muscle (muscle memory- I used to be a dancer) and I felt heavy and looked the exact same- no inches lost, same tight pants. I was miserable. However, I also got pregnant in July, and that probably contributed to the non-weightloss.

I took vacation in August and with my husband deploying in September, I worked out but didn't make much progress. I also had to stop because I miscarried and had to take it easy October. I was put with a different trainer who had me on the same meal plan and I started to see results but not as fast. I lost 6 pounds sluggishly and body fat measured at 28%.

When my husband came home for R&R in December, he noticed a change but I still felt fat. During this time, we got pregnant again and I miscarried end of January. I wasn't allowed to go back until Dr. ok'd me to work out again and I thought it would be a couple of weeks, so no biggie. However, 2 weeks after miscarriage, I had a cold and it hurt when I inhaled. I never go to Dr. unless I NEED to and I felt like I needed to go to emergency room. There I was checked, poked, proded, x-ray'd, CT Scanned and they found a pulmonary embolism as a result of miscarriage. I was hospitalized for about a day, however, I wasn't allowed to workout until late March after blood was stabilized in therapeutic region and all blood work was done.

This is where I kicked it into high gear. I weighed 189 (AGAIN) and I was put with Tony. The first week I dropped 6 pounds and he told me to give him 3 months and we will get what I wanted. I also joined a Beachbody challenge for 90 days for extra cardio using Turbofire. He fixed my eating - and it was a struggle. I eat only 1348 calories and have to eat the "right" foods.

Since April 1, I work out 5 days a week- resistance and functional training with at least 45 mins cardio (stairmaster or treadmill). In addition, I workout to Turbofire in the morning to kickstart my day.

me today at 161 lbs
My weight and measurements on April 1 were 183 lbs (42-37-44). Today they are 161 lbs (37.5-31-39.5). I'm not done yet, but I am close. My goal was to weigh 140 lbs...but right now at 161, it feels good. I love my curves and my muscle tone. I wish I could banish my tummy, but that'll go away.....eventually. I may not reach the 140lbs because I am loving the way I look. My body fat is at 24% and I am ok with that. I look healthy and fit now but most of all, I look happy and I feel great!






I can't wait for my husband to come back from deployment. I live for the moment he sees me again and "that look."


1 comment:

  1. Good for you girl what amazing progress you hve made! Deployments seem to be the best time to get on track !

    ReplyDelete